+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Homemade rdf

Koi Fry
    Thanks

Homemade rdf

back in January of 2014 i had decided i was going to upgrade my filtration by adding an rdf ( rotary drum filter ) to my pond filtration system. at this time i was running 2 - nexus 310 one for each bottom drain and a sieve on my 2 skimmers. after doing some research i had come to the conclusion that the cost of a commercially built rdf was more then i would like to spend, so i set off on researching how to make one and trying to locate all the parts needed to do so.. i can tell you i searched high and low and found very very little on the construction of an rdf.

in August of 2014 i decided to take shot at making one.. this is the first attempt at making the rdf. it is very crude but it works.

after running the rdf for a few days there were a few things that i realized right away.

1) i made the box to small
    2) no room for the spray bar inside of the box
    3) not enough spray nozzles to clean the screen
    4) drum rotation is to fast
    5) cleaning tray is to small
    6) no lid for the over spray from cleaning

Last edited by kwickcut; 12-19-2016 at 10:58 PM.

Koi Fry
    Thanks
    this is after 30 minuter or so of run time with the new rdf.
    bucket.jpg

as you can see in the pictures the rdf does clean very fine particles from the water.
    pipe.jpg pipe2.jpg

i am very pleased with how well the rdf is working.

Koi Fry
    Thanks
    well after seeing the spray bar was only cleaning about 30 - 40% of the drum i decided to remake the spray bar. i added more nozzles for a total of 10 nozzles. the cleaning action is now covering 100% of the drum surface.

i still need to address some of the deficiency's and some upgrades for the rdf but that will come with the next build for now everything is working well and i see no more changes to this model.

Koi Fry
    Thanks
    by September i felt that i had reached the limits of the original rdf so i built a second model that addressed some of the issues.

1) i changed the spray nozzle style to a 90 allowing the spray bar to be inside of the rdf
    2) i added a lid
    3) bigger overall box
    4) bigger drum
    5) added egg-crate to stop the clogging of oak leaves inside of the cleaning pipe.

in the video below i had the both bottom drain circuits off for about 3 days while i revamped the piping for the newer rdf and making it cleaner looking. i still needed to work on slowing the drum. as you can see in the video the water inside of the clean area moves rapidly up and down during the cleaning cycle. this sometimes causes a second cleaning from the float moving up and down to quickly. i will address this soon.

Koi Fry
    Thanks
    going into November - December the daily cleanings of the egg crate started. it was a pain knowing i had what you would call a maintenance free filter that needed maintenance everyday.. once January hit the oaks had dropped almost all there leaves so i did not have to clean the egg crate ant more. then is the spring i decided to make a new tray to catch the debris. it works really well except the oak leaves dont want to slide down the 4" line into the waste system i will have to come up with another fix for that on the next model

+ Reply to Thread

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!