+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: My parents Pond

Koi Fry
    Thanks
    we have no issues going from the bd to the primer pot. this setup works well for this pond. the reason that we are using pump feed is the lack of room at the time of the build for a sc.. if we were building the pond today we would use a gravity feed system to the eazy pod.. the eazy pod outer part is a good sc and i really dont think you would need to add a sc separate from the eazy pod..

gravity feed system

pos
    it does not puree the fish poo making it easy to remove.
    no need for a primer pot on the pump.
    out of sight and no reason for a building to hide equipment.
    more efficient cleaning of pond.

cons
    you have to allow more room for the filter area. ( but you are already digging for the pond so whats another few feet?)
    climbing in to do the cleanings.

pump feed system

pros
    dont have to dig a hole.
    may be easyer to clean as you dont have to climb into a pit.

cons
    need a primer pot
    need to clean the primer pot... can become a pain in the fall with leaves as so on..
    it purees the fish poo making it harder to remove

i will think about more issues and add them
    Attached Images
    Last edited by kwickcut; 04-29-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Unhatched egg
    Thanks
    Can I use only an eazy pod as my filter system? b/c I see you had bio reactor filter and a bead filter. Are bio reactor and bead filter is a must for every pond system?

Koi Fry
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nathantran View Post
    Can I use only an eazy pod as my filter system? b/c I see you had bio reactor filter and a bead filter. Are bio reactor and bead filter is a must for every pond system?
    it is always good to have a moving bed for the extra bio of course the amount of bio depends on the fish load.. ( clearwater named there moving bed product a bio reactor. there is no difference between a bio reactor and moving bed they are one in the same) according to EA you would only need the eazy pod if you are with in the recommended fish loads..

as a basic rule most people say you use 10 gallons of water per inch of fish.. so if you have a 24" koi you would need 240 gallons of water for this koi. if you follow this rule and you have a 3000 gallon pond you could have 12.5 koi @ 24".. but now keep in mind that koi can grow to 32" and sometimes even more. so if you use this rule at max growth you could have 9 koi @ 32" i think that this rule is to low

i would prefer 20 gallons per inch.. so in a 3000 gallon pond you could have 6 to 7- koi @ 24" and at max growth you could have 5 koi @ 32"

as you know we all tend to over stock out ponds this is when you need more Boi and filtration to help with the fish load.

the drawling i posted did not include a skimmer circuit.. how the filtration on this circuit would work depends on what kind of skimmer you are going to use

if you are going to use a modded pool skimmer for this circuit i would use a 50 gallon drum with static media in it and then send it to a waterfall or stream.

is using a pond skimmer with a leaf net and malta mat then toy could just use a pump to send it to the falls or stream

now by adding a water fall the splashing of the water will help degas the water some like a FF...

if you dont prefer to use a stream of waterfall then you could just return the water to a trp or gpr..

i will post a pic in a few min of the trp gpr setups

Koi Fry
    Thanks
    Attachment 273Attachment 272i have made 2 setups pone with 2 bottom drains using TPR and GPR and one bottom drain using TPR and waterfall and or stream
    Attached Images
    Last edited by kwickcut; 04-29-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Unhatched egg
    Thanks
    What do you think about these 3 setup?

1. 3" BD to your 55 gallon settling chamber with Static, then tie the outlet of the settling chamber to the skimmer line and then to the pump, something around 4000 gallons. Then feed this through a UV and to two DIY Sand/Gravel filters.
    2. 4" BD to eazy pod then tie the outlet of the eazy pod to the skimmer line and then to the pump, something around 4000 gallons. Then feed this through a UV and to one DIY Sand/Gravel filters.
    3. One nexus 210 for the pond.

The option number 3 (Nexus 210). it does cost more upfront but it has built in everything and easy maintain.
    Last edited by nathantran; 04-29-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Koi Fry
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nathantran View Post
    What do you think about these 3 setup?

1. 3" BD to your 55 gallon settling chamber with Static, then tie the outlet of the settling chamber to the skimmer line and then to the pump, something around 4000 gallons. Then feed this through a UV and to two DIY Sand/Gravel filters.
    2. 4" BD to eazy pod then tie the outlet of the eazy pod to the skimmer line and then to the pump, something around 4000 gallons. Then feed this through a UV and to one DIY Sand/Gravel filters.
    3. One nexus 210 for the pond.

The option number 3 (Nexus 210). it does cost more upfront but it has built in everything and easy maintain.

1) i would not use static media in the container for the BD..this would mean more work cleaning the filter system... a static media filter is used more on a circuit wear the particles will not settle like on a skimmer circuit. also i would not connect the skimmer and BD to the same pump it would be better to have 2 separate circuits with 2 pumps..

2) this sounds good just remember the Max Flow Rate through the eazy pod is 2,640 US gallons/hr...on my dads we are putting about 1500 gallons/hr

3) this is a good unit i have 2 nexus 310

depending on what you are looking for.. first thing you should decide..

1)
    are you going to use a liner natural formed pond?
    are you going to use a block pond?

2)
    are you going to use a gravity feed system?
    are you going to use a pump feed system?

3)
    do you want to use TPR's to return the water to the pond?
    do you want to use a stream/waterfall return the water to the pond?.... or
    do you want to use a combo TPR/stream/waterfall to return water to the pond?

4)
    what is the total pond size you desire?

once you decide on these issues then we can put together the best filter system for your needs...

from all of your posts i will assume that you will be around 3000 gallons. if you go with the eazy pod it will not be enough by itself. you will need to add something else be it a S/G or another eazy pod..

you had said that you are looking to go with something like my parents pond... if that is so there are a few options you can go with.

1) BD circuit.... BD to eazy pod then eazy pod to pump to uv then return to pond you would need to split the line going back see pic one.
    skimmer if using a pond skimmer leaf basket then through malta mat pump to S/G
    skimmer if using a pool skimmer to a static filter the pump to S/G

2) BD to 50 gallon SC to moving bed to pump to uv and S/G
    Pond Skimmer through leaf basket then malta mat to pump to S/G
    pool skimmer to static 50 gallon drum to pump to S/G

3) bd to SC to nexus 210 pump back to pond
    same with the skimmer as above

basically the skimmer and what one u use depends on how it will work. you can put the UV on ether circuit you just have to make the decision on what filter you want to use and the other questions 1-4 then we can get you a plan set up

maybe start a thread in the Pond Design and Layout area
    Attached Images

Unhatched egg
    Thanks
    I just move to Pond Design and Layout

Unhatched egg
    Thanks
    Great pics, that'sa really nice pond.

+ Reply to Thread

Visitors found this page by searching for:

mb4@fin.com